Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Step 5 of 5 Steps to a More Fit You.


ANALYSIS PARALYSIS


I LIKE IT SIMPLE / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND


I have a passion. I want to help people meet their fitness goals. What's the BEST POSSIBLE way to make this happen? This last question is where I make the most mistakes, not in fitness, but in LIFE!
This conundrum can lead to many, many more questions. 
I don't know exactly how to attract more clients.
I'm not sure how much cardio to do in my programming.
Why would people want to hear MY opinion on sports, nutrition, mental toughness, deep breathing, and meditation? Who am I to put my two cents in?
I don't know how best to prove I know what I’m talking about.
 I don't know if doing squats are as beneficial as some experts say.
Should I eat low fat, high carb meals or high fat, low carb meals? The list goes on and on and on...
“YOU CANNOT DREAM YOURSELF INTO A CHARACTER; YOU MUST HAMMER AND FORGE YOUSELF ONE.” – JAMES A FROUDE

These are just some of my own over-thinking hurdles.  Many of you also face the daunting feeling that you don’t know WHAT to do, so you do NOTHING.
It never feels like a conscious decision; to do nothing. It’s more of an innate, “when I figure out what/how/when to do something, I’m going to do it.”  You may dabble in some self-experimentation (see step 4 post) but always possess the feeling that you’re going about it all wrong. 

You may fear looking like a loser in the gym, doing all the wrong things.
You may plan on going to the gym after you lose some weight so you feel more comfortable around those fit people.
You may fear packing a healthy lunch and getting ribbed by all your coworkers or friends. You say that those men and women who are fit are just “vain.”
I don’t need to look good to feel good.
Get over the ANALYSIS PARALYSIS. The scientific method is of no use to you.

The answer is this damn simple: Do more. Whatever “it” is. And do it hard. I mean really hard! That is relative to oneself, but that’s all the body and mind understand. Give it a reason to respond, and it will every single time.
People these days want a game plan, a route, a road map, a google keyword, a recent research article. I am no different. We are bombarded with tips, tricks, discoveries, and INFORMATION OVERLOAD to the point that no matter what we do, we’re contradicting what he or she says.
NIKE said it best, JUST DO IT! ANYTHING! EVERYTHING!


This is how I’m looking now after about 5 months of having no specific training goal.

I walked into the gym 4-6 days a week and worked hard. Did I squat? Did I do high intensity intervals? Did I do supinated bicep curls? I couldn’t tell you.

I approached working out like this. DO SOMETHING. WORK HARD.
Nobody wants to hear this. They want a new supplement that inhibits fat absorption, or 17 days to lose 20 lbs of fat. It doesn’t work that way. It just doesn’t.  It’s not sexy to hear. It’s easier to believe that the pharmaceutical companies are going to come up with something to take the self-reliance out.


I challenge anyone reading this to take your own well-being into your own hands.
Each and every day you have the opportunity to turn off your brain a bit and choose to do something, anything. Do it hard! You’ll be amazed at what this basic approach will do in just a short time.

“Eighty percent of success is showing up.”- Woody Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment