Friday, September 7, 2012

Step 3 of 5 Steps to a More Fit You.


be honest with yourself (consistently)

I don't know how many times I have thought or said I was going to do something without actually taking in to account how much time and effort would be required.  Often times, I don't consider what habits or activities I will have to cut out to achieve this new "want".  In the pursuit of health and fitness goals, the desire could be there, but without a rational, realistic long-term approach, nothing of any substance can be accomplished.  Long-term life changes come from just that; lifestyle changes. Short-term accomplishments merely come from inspiration and compulsions.

By being honest with myself about how long a goal will take, I set myself up for success and satisfaction. I often have a conversation with myself. Did I take a systematic step today toward instilling a better mindset/habit? Or, did I aimlessly fill my day with small compulsory attempts to achieve something just to apease that "I should _____," feeling?" By being honest with myself in this way, it is easy to see that one of the two, is actually going to make a long-term difference.

Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going.  ~Jim Ryun

Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.  ~Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment